In Congressional District 7 there is a stark contrast between Dr. Ami Bera and Doug Ose when it comes to women's health and the health of our families. Government and politicians like Doug Ose should not intrude on personal medical decisions.
Highlights from the October 8 debate
Dr. Ami Bera spoke up during the debate about the importance of health insurance coverage and working to improve access to care when he said “As a doctor I've taken care of far too many patients who had no insurance. Let's make the Affordable Care Act better.” Opponent Doug Ose avoided answering questions about health care and what he would do after trying to repeal Obamacare, which would result in millions of Californians losing health insurance coverage. Doug Ose also made inaccurate statements, falsely saying that Congress accesses health coverage via a different route than via the Affordable Care Act exchanges.
Get the facts and vote on November 4!
DR. AMI BERA - 100% SCORE
- Dr. Ami Bera earned a 100% rating from Planned Parenthood Action Fund for his consistent record protecting women’s access to reproductive health care.
- Bera supports medically-accurate age appropriate sex education in schools to lower teen pregnancy rates.
- Bera strongly opposes the recent Hobby Lobby decision to allow bosses to deny birth control coverage for women.
- Doug Ose has said he will repeal Obamacare, which includes repealing mammograms at no cost and contraception with no co-pays.
- Doug Ose is a politician who thinks he can dictate to women about private medical decisions, such as access to birth control.
- Doug Ose has aligned himself with House Speaker John Boehner, who tried to defund Planned Parenthood. If he couldn’t stand up to Newt Gingrich, do you think he’ll vote against Boehner?
Doug Ose's actions harming women's health:
- States on his official website that he will repeal Obamacare, which would repeal the important preventive health benefits for women such as mammograms at no cost, contraception with no-copays, maternity care and lactation counseling, well women exams with no-copays, and domestic violence counseling.
- Voted against women's health on H.R. 1997 in 2004. On this bill Ose joined extreme politicians like Todd Akin (who stated that 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy) on this dangerous 'personhood' amendment which would make abortion illegal.
Dr. Ami Bera's actions protecting women's health:
- Voted NO on a harmful bill, H.R. 1797, which would have banned abortion after 20 weeks.
- Voted NO on a harmful amendment to the FY2014 continuing resolution H.J. Res. 49 which would have taken away critical preventive health services from millions of women.
- Voted NO on a harmful bill, H.R. 7 that would have taken away comprehensive private health insurance coverage for abortion from millions of women, even for women whose health was in danger.
- Bera has made strong public statements in support of sex education and opposing bosses being able to take away birth control coverage from their employees.
OTHER WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
Let's make sure everyone in the community knows where Doug Ose and Dr. Ami Bera stand on reproductive health issues! Click below to share this page on social media - thanks for your help in educating our local community.
Fill out our online volunteer sign up form – we urgently need volunteers to help!
Congressional District 7 is going to be a very close race and your vote matters. See where more candidates stand on the Voter Guide!
Vote for Dr. Ami Bera on November 4th!
PHOTO ATTRIBUTION: Ami Bera photo, derivative work, original photo 2014 Creative Commons.