“Two months before my wedding, I noticed a lump in my breast. I called Planned Parenthood and made an appointment for the same week at the Thousand Oaks health center. The doctor felt something unusual and referred me for an ultrasound and mammogram. Planned Parenthood set up the appointment for me at a local radiological center and followed up afterward.
Everything turned out fine, thanks to Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood has been an irreplaceable part of my life. Planned Parenthood allowed me to access the care I needed with dignity and respect through every stage of my adult life, and I will never stop fighting for Planned Parenthood because I know it will never stop fighting for me.”
— Laura L., Patient Speaker of Planned Parenthood California Central Coast
Each year in California, approximately 24,985 women and 200 men are diagnosed with breast cancer. Studies have shown that how earlier breast cancer is diagnosed affects the 5-year survival rate by a margin of 78%.
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California is proud to join California Planned Parenthood Education Fund, an organization dedicated to a wide variety of health needs, in celebrating October as Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention Month as made possible by California Assemblymember Cecilia Aguiar-Curry.
Here are some ways Planned Parenthood promotes breast health:
- Health centers administer thorough, affordable breast exams
- All Planned Parenthood health centers provide mammogram referrals, as demonstrated by need;
- Planned Parenthood Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley offers mammograms at select locations and times
- Bolstering awareness of breast health and self-examination
Take charge of your breast health and make an appointment at a local health center near you today!
If you are an age-eligible person without health insurance and you are interested in scheduling a mammogram, check out the Every Woman Counts program for an opportunity to secure an affordable cancer screening.
Look out for posts on social media for Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention Month throughout the month of October:
- Follow @PPActionCA on Twitter
- Like Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California on Facebook
- Like California Planned Parenthood Education Fund on Facebook