Close to 1,000 Planned Parenthood activists from across California, Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, noted author and constitutional scholar Michele Goodwin, members of CA Legislative Women’s Caucus and pro-Planned Parenthood legislators
Rally to support and protect preventive and reproductive health care services that Planned Parenthood health centers provide to more than 850,000 Californians every year
East Steps, State Capitol
Broadcasting on Facebook LIVE: www.facebook.com/PPActionCA
Monday, May 15, 2017
Rally at 12:15 p.m.
Speakers (all confirmed)
- Michele Goodwin, author, reproductive justice advocate and Law Professor, UC Irvine (Keynote)
- Senate Pro Tempore Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles)
- Toni Atkins (D-San Diego)
- Hannah-Beth Jackson (D-Santa Barbara)
- Connie M. Leyva, CA Legislative Women’s Caucus Vice-Chair (D-Chino)
- Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley)
- Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco)
- Cristina Garcia, CA Legislative Women’s Caucus Chair (D-Bell Gardens)
- Richard Bloom (D-Santa Monica)
- Laura Friedman (D-Glendale)
- Eloise Gomez Reyes (D-San Bernardino)
- Phil Ting (D-San Francisco)
- Nora Vargas, emcee, Vice President of Community and Government Relations, Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest
- Windie Win, spoken word poet and Teen Success leader, Planned Parenthood Mar Monte, Sacramento
- Kersha Deibel, leader of the “I Defy” program at Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Cynthia Buiza, Executive Director, California Immigrant Policy Center
Planned Parenthood supporters in hot pink T-shirts holding hand-made signs in support of Planned Parenthood health centers' reproductive and preventive health services. Participants taking part in a reproductive health advocacy fair.
Close to 1,000 Planned Parenthood activists will travel from as far as Humboldt County and San Diego to take part in Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California Capitol Day and ask their local legislators to support increasing Medi-Cal rates for reproductive health providers.
Participants will hear a presentation by author, constitutional scholar and reproductive justice advocate Michele Goodwin, as well as speeches from legislative leadership including Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León; CA Legislative Women’s Caucus Chair, Assemblymember Cristina Garcia, CA Legislative Women’s Caucus Vice-Chair Sen. Connie M. Leyva and more.
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California Capitol Day is an annual event to engage activists in supporting reproductive health care for all Californians. The theme of this year’s event is Protect, Empower, Persist.
Capitol Day will include an advocacy fair showcasing youth engagement and other advocacy programs such as I Defy, GenAction campus advocacy program, and Across the Line, a CGI virtual reality experience about accessing abortion in America.
Seven Planned Parenthood 501(C)(3) affiliates operate 115 health centers in California which provide preventive and reproductive care – from breast and cervical cancer screenings to contraception and STD prevention and treatment – to close to a million Californians each year. Planned Parenthood health centers play an integral part in keeping individuals, families, and communities healthy.