Need Health Info?
Find a Planned Parenthood Health Center and reproductive health information.
Don't know the name of your affiliate?
Find out by picking your county:
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California (PPAC) is a 501(c)(4) organization, representing eight separately incorporated Planned Parenthood affiliates throughout California on statewide governmental issues. We are one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
PPAC follows state and federal legislation in a number of public policy arenas and promotes education, counseling and clinical services in the fields of reproductive health care and family planning. We monitor administrative, legislative and regulatory actions, including statewide and local initiatives. PPAC also engages in political activity as allowed by law and provides technical assistance to affiliates regarding government health care programs.
PPAC’s mission is to create a personally and politically safe climate in which individuals have universal and unfettered access to sexual and reproductive health service and are free to follow their own beliefs, values and moral code when making decisions about these services.
Incorporated in 1974, PPAC has been a driving force at the Capitol regarding reproductive health care and reproductive freedom issues. It was the first such organization of its type in the Planned Parenthood Federation of America family and served as a model for other states. It was created because the Planned Parenthood organization in California saw the need for a common policy on information and education, fundraising, public relations, public education and public affairs.
PPAC’s vision and leadership has spurred lawmakers to enact legislation that makes California the number one state in the funding of family planning and other reproductive health care services. PPAC played a key role in augmenting state funding for family planning and has played a leading role in the fight against anti-choice legislation for 30 years.
PPAC’s worked to successfully enact legislation that:
- secured a Medi-Cal reimbursement rate increase for family planning services.
- restored family planning funds when they were line item-vetoed by Gov. George Deukmejian.
- made it a crime to block access to a health facility.
- protects Californians’ fundamental right to choose a safe and legal abortion even if the federal government reduces protections under Roe v. Wade.
- required employer health plans include contraceptives as part of the benefit package (the Contraceptive Equity Act).
- ensured that students who receive sex education in schools receive accurate information on abstinence, human sexuality, contraception, pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases in an age-appropriate manner.
- allowed pharmacists to dispense emergency contraception under statewide protocol approved by the Medical Board of California and the Board of Pharmacy.